The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Everyday Counts 6 (EDC-6) Next-Generation TIM (NextGen TIM) innovation focuses on working with State, local, and Tribal partners to improve TIM on all roadways by integrating proven, yet underutilized, technology, data, and training strategies. These entities are poised to take TIM to the next level using innovative TIM approaches that will continue to improve safety, travel reliability, and save lives, time, and money.
This site includes the resources generated through the NextGen TIM innovation, including Factsheets, Case Studies, Workshops, and Webinars.
Additional information can also be found here FHWA EDC-6 NextGen TIM.
The factsheets developed are intended to provide a succinct overview of each aspect of EDC-6 NextGen TIM and are a ready resource.
- Next-Generation TIM – This factsheet provides a high-level overview of the four NextGen TIM focus areas, which are local programs, training, data, and technology.
- TIM on Local Roads – This factsheet focuses on TIM for local roads and includes an overview of the importance of local TIM, information about specialized response-based TIM models, and state of the practice examples from Florida, Arizona, and Texas.
- TIM Training – This factsheet focuses on the use of innovative delivery methods, future enhancements, and additions to the National TIM Responder training curriculum.
- TIM Data – This factsheet focuses on the collection, analysis, and sharing of TIM data, and provides several state-of-the-art practice examples.
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems for TIM – This factsheet focuses on how UAS can be used to support TIM and highlights the associated benefits (saves lives, time, and money).
- Video Sharing for TIM – This factsheet focuses on the sharing of video from responder vehicles to a TMC, and from a TMC to responder vehicles.
- Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD) Integration – This factsheet focuses on the benefits of sharing public safety CAD data with State DOT’s Transportation Management Centers (TMCs).
- Responder-to-Vehicle Alerts (R2V) – This factsheet explains the safety risk associated with managing incidents adjacent to travel lanes and how States are deploying responder-to-vehicle alert technology to mitigate this risk.
Coming soon . . .
The Talking TIM webinar series provides a forum where TIM stakeholders, including those participating in EDC-6, can exchange information about current TIM practices, programs, and technologies. Each month, the FHWA TIM Program establishes a webinar agenda that highlights successful programs, identifies best practices, or showcases technologies that are advancing TIM. The Talking TIM webinars listed below focused on elements of the EDC-6 NextGen TIM innovation.
Visit the Talking TIM Webinar Series webpage to view the full collection of webinars.
October 27, 2021 – This webinar included a presentation provided by Florida DOT District 3 on their rural-focused towing incident programs.
December 15, 2021 – This webinar included a presentation from Oklahoma, which highlighted features of the OKTIM Program and their coordination efforts with the State’s Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP). Additionally, the American Transportation Research Institute discussed in-cab incident alerts for trucks and commercial vehicles.