November 12, 2020 from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm EST
The Talking TIM webinar series, brought to you by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), provides a forum where TIM champions with any level of experience can exchange information about current practices, programs, and technologies. Each month, the FHWA TIM Program Team will feature content that highlights successful programs, identifies best practices, and showcases technology that advances the profession.
November 9-15, 2020 is National Traffic Incident Response Awareness Week (NTIRAW). This week is a chance for all responder communities to individually and jointly make a difference by teaching each other, and the motoring public, about our common goal and responsibility to one another. To commemorate NTIRAW, this Talking TIM webinar focuses on responder safety. Topics and presenters for this webinar include:
- The National Sheriff’s Association Role in TIM – Sheriff John Whetsel, the Chair of the National Sheriff’s Association (NSA) Traffic Safety Committee, will highlight local law enforcement roles and challenges in the practice of TIM. He will also discuss NSA efforts to advance responder safety. This is a part of the "Meet the Executive Leadership Group" series.
- Slow Down, Move Over State Legislation, a Firsthand Perspective – Linda Unruh was instrumental in New Mexico recognizing the Slow Down Move Over Law as Bobby’s Law, named in honor of her son who was killed in the line of duty in 2017. Her mission is to save lives through education, awareness and training, and to establish a National Slow Down Move Over law to unite and highlight the need for public education and safety for first responders in all 50 States.
- Highlights from National Traffic Incident Response Awareness Week – Jim Austrich, FHWA Program Manager, will highlight innovative efforts to commemorate National Traffic Incident Response Awareness Week and bring greater awareness to the motoring public.
- Responder Safety Institute Summit – Jack Sullivan, Director of Training with the Emergency Responder Safety Institute (ERSI), will provide an update on the number of responder fatalities. Mr. Sullivan will also review findings from the Responder Safety Institute Summit and discuss current and future TIM initiatives spearheaded by ERSI.
The FHWA TIM program managers, Paul Jodoin and Jim Austrich, will also provide news associated with the National TIM Responder Training and other FHWA initiatives. For more information regarding this series, please reach out to Paul Jodoin or Jim Austrich. To download presentations from previous webinars, or to view previous webinars, please visit FHWA's Talking TIM Webinar Series hosted by NOCoE.
Operations Area of Practice:
- Traffic Incident Management