October 06, 2020 from 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm EDT
Those responsible for implementing, operating, and maintaining Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) solutions have long understood the challenges related to deploying, integrating, and managing transportation technologies (e.g. ITS). However, increasingly technology for TSMO is intersecting with traditional information technology (IT) functions and groups. This growing role of IT within TSMO/ITS functions is creating both opportunities and challenges. Opportunities include the ability to collaborate, leverage respective skill sets, improve network security, and gain advantages in procurement and maintaining IT infrastructure. Challenges include disconnects, misunderstandings, and points of conflict on program priorities, risks, and potential difference in standards.
The FHWA-led Leveraging and Coordinating Technology Resources for Transportation Systems Management and Operations research effort explores common challenges between TSMO practitioners and IT staff and identifies effective practices to overcome these challenges that have been implemented by a variety of transportation organizations. This webinar series is intended to share findings from the FHWA project and to hear about the experiences and lessons learned in coordinating IT and TSMO from transportation agencies.
The first webinar focused on challenges that agency panelists faced regarding information technology and how they were able to overcome those challenges.
This second webinar will focus on specific effective practices to address IT-related challenges and how to use the reference document to find effective practices to address many of the most common challenges. The webinar will present:
- The categories of IT-TSMO challenges and effective practices.
- Demonstrate how to use the reference document to find effective practices to overcome specific challenges.
- Specific panelist experience in addressing challenges with these effective practices.
- Senior managers with TSMO responsibilities
- TMC managers
- IT Managers involved with supporting Transportation Operations
- Transportation operations staff
- IT staff involved with supporting Transportation Operations
- Become familiar with IT challenges that Operations personnel face.
- Learn about potential effective practices in overcoming these challenges.
- Learn about the Principles and Strategies for Effective Coordination of IT and TSMO reference document.
- Jim Hunt, FHWA
- Les Jacobson, WSP USA
- Collin Castle, Michigan DOT
- Nick Compin, Caltrans
- Susan Klasen, New Hampshire DOR
- Raj Ponnaluri, Florida DOT
- Murali Rao, Virginia DOT
- Les Jacobson, WSP USA
Part 1 of this webinar series, Achieving Better Coordination Between Operations and IT, was on September 1, 2020 with the recording available here.
Organizational Capability Element:
- Technical Understanding
Operations Area of Practice:
- Decision Criteria for ITS Device Type and Location
- Integrated ITS Deployment
- Procurement Approaches