December 17, 2018 at 8:08 am EST
December 30, 2018 at 5:17 pm EST
AASHTO's Transportation and Civil Engineering (TRAC) & Roadways in Developing Elementary Students (RIDES) programs is a K-12 hands-on education outreach program that strengthens Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) skills while introducing students at an early age to careers in the transportation industry.
TRAC has eight modules which engage students in solving real-world problems while connecting them to the work world of transportation. In addition to providing a tool for teachers to improve math and science instruction in middle and secondary schools, TRAC improves work force diversity which helps to resolve one of the most pressing problems faced by transportation today: a critical shortage of civil engineers.
RIDES is an education outreach program designed to interest K-9 students in transportation careers while improving their math and science skills. Students utilize critical thinking skills to solve real world problems and learn about careers in the transportation industry -- especially civil engineering.
By becoming a sponsor you can become a part of a team that help create many benefits for Education and Transportation. Some of these benefits include:
- STEM education curriculum for K-12.
- Workforce Development for Transportation Industry.
- Increase the number of students in STEM Education especially females and minorities.
- Increase STEM proficiency for all students and promote civil engineering.
- Enhance the quality and supply of transportation workers especially civil engineers.
- Motivate student interest in math, science, and transportation.
- Meet STEM job needs for the global economy.