May 05, 2020 from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm EDT
FHWA and The National Operations Center of Excellence are sponsoring a webinar to show best practices utilizing analysis tools with the capability to manipulate data to monitor, evaluate, and manage system performance.
Data analysis and performance measurement are integral to planning for operations. They are central to the success of an objectives-driven, performance-based approach and are often the most resource-intensive aspect to planning for operations in terms of data, staff expertise, and simulation tools and models. Analysis and performance measurement are the key activities in two major elements of the planning for operations approach:
- The systematic process to develop and select M&O strategies to meet objectives.
- System performance monitoring and evaluation. Performance measures and analysis also play an important role in the development of operations objectives.
Results from the Strategic Highway Research Program 2 (SHRP2) Reliability effort shows agencies are “Data Rich” and the amount of data streams continue to grow. This creates both opportunities and challenges. The opportunities include the availability of more detailed data for planning, monitoring, predicting and management of transportation systems and networks and the challenges include managing huge data sets (Big Data). Transportation agency managers in planning and operations are aware of the importance of objective driven performance-based approach to make the business case for Transportation Systems Management and Operation (TSMO) strategies to decision makers and the public but have made limited progress in considering the data and analytics. The manipulation of transportation Big Data is required and currently there are limited tools robust enough to big data available.
Participants will be able to learn from agencies and organizations with current best practices to monitor, evaluate, and report on system performance from a TSMO perspective.
- Daniel Grate, Jr.: Transportation Systems Management Operations Specialist; FHWA Resource Center Operations Technical Service Team
- Atlanta Regional Commission
- Kyung-Hwa Kim, Performance Analysis and Monitoring Manager
- Tejas Kotak, Senior Planner
- Shichen Fan, Planner
- University of Texas El Paso – Center for Infrastructure Systems
- Marketa Vavrova, Post-doctoral Researcher
- Sebastian Gonzalez, Graduate Research Assistant
- Brian Cardiel, Graduate Research Assistant
El Paso Metropolitan Planning Organization
Sonia Perez, Regional Transportation Planner
Organizational Capability Element:
- Performance Management
- Performance Measurement
Operations Area of Practice:
- Performance Management
- Data Acquisition, Support and Hosting
- System Performance Definition, Monitoring and Reporting