The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Traffic Incident Management Program organized the the Talking TIM webinar on Wednesday, August 25, from 1:30 - 3:30 PM ET. Featured in this webinar were:
- Patrick Chavez, Mountain Corridor Operations Manager, Colorado Department of Transportation will share how Colorado DOT helped 27 localities establish effective TIM programs.
- David McDonald, TIM Coordinator, Texas Department of Transportation will discuss their recent success in working with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) to make TIM training a requirement.
- David Covington, Emeritus Fire Chief of Schertz Fire and Rescue in a suburb of San Antonio, Texas, helped champion requirements for Texas Fire and Rescue professional to complete the National TIM Responder training. Hear how the State achieved this institutionalization of training.
- Scott Malcolm, Incident Management Specialist at Parsons Corporation, supports the Georgia TIME Task Force and will speak to institutionalizing TIM Training among emergency medical service professionals in Georgia.
Paul Jodoin and Jim Austrich, FHWA Office of Operations, organize and moderate this webinar series hosted by the National Operations Center of Excellence (NOCoE). To view previous topics in this webinar series, please visit the FHWA sponsored Talking TIM webinar site.
David McDonald (TxDOT): David McDonald is the TxDOT Statewide TIM Coordinator and has been with TxDOT for 3 years leading that program. Prior to working at TxDOT, David spent 25 years working for the Austin Police Department, and 10 of those years were spent in the traffic unit. Texas has a great TIM team and it all starts with the managers of the local TIM teams across our great state.
David Covington (San Antonio): David’s fire service career includes 31 years with the San Antonio Fire Department and 10 years as Fire Chief with the Schertz Fire Department. He also served as a master instructor for the SHRP2 TIM train-the trainer program.
Scott Malcolm (Atkins Global): Currently employed by Atkins Global, the contracted consultant for GA DOT’s statewide TIM program as the Senior TIM Specialist for Georgia. Scott is a retired captain, 30 years with Cobb County, GA Fire Dept. (northwest Atlanta). Scott has 32 years GA paramedic and 6 years ambulance experience and is a Georgia certified fire instructor. He has served on Georgia TIME Task Force member since 2002 and has served 2 terms on board of directors. He also has experience as a hazardous materials technician and 11 years of experience with private remediation company.Scott has been a FHWA SHRP2 master instructor since 2012 and has been involved with Georgia Traffic Incident Management program as a consultant/trainer since then.
Patrick Chavez (CDOT): Mr. Patrick Chavez has been working for CDOT since October 2014. He reestablished his home back in Colorado after retiring from the US Army in 2013 where he began searching for a new and challenging career. He started as the I-70 Mountain Corridor Operations Manager responsible for traffic operations from Golden to Dotsero. During this time, he worked to align CDOT operations with local agencies as well as implementing measures to increase effective incident response and travel reliability through the corridor, particularly during weekend peak traffic periods and during winter storms. It was in this position that he came to appreciate the value of a strong TIM Program. Patrick accepted a new position at CDOT in December 2018 as the Statewide Traffic Incident Management Program Coordinator. In this position, he is working closely with Colorado State Patrol and local first responder agencies to implement effective TIM measures across the state. Patrick is continuing to work to find ways to better support local TIM programs and better develop TIM Teams throughout the state.
Operations Area of Practice
- Roadway Safety Services / Roadway Safety Patrol
- Traffic Incident Management
Organizational Capability Element
- Traffic Incident Management
1.Intro Slides-Talking TIM August 2021.pdf (287.59 KB)
3.Colorado Slides-Talking TIM August 2021.pdf (904.52 KB)
4.TxDOT Slides-Talking TIM August 2021-.pdf (833.48 KB)
5.San Antonio Slides-Talking TIM August 2021.pdf (253.30 KB)
6.Georgia Slides-Talking TIM August 2021-.pdf (523.23 KB)