The USDOT is pleased to provide the intelligent transportation systems (ITS) standards community with a new tool to support efficient deployment of systems for C2C communication. The C2C RI tool enables agencies to determine whether their interface for communicating between centers conforms to two standards:
- National Transportation Communications for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) 2306 v01 Application Profile for XML Message Encoding and Transport in ITS Center-to-Center Communications.
The C2C interface may be between two traffic management centers or any two centers that need to coordinate (regionally or locally) the management of a corridor, arterial, incident, event, or more. To verify the interface's conformance, the C2C RI tool performs three steps:
- Test Configuration: Allows the user to select the user needs and requirements to be tested, resulting in a set of tailored test cases.
- Test Execution: Allows the user to select the test cases to run, executes the test cases, and logs the details and results of the test.
- Test Reporting: Produces reports on the test results to share with stakeholders.
During test execution, the C2C RI tool communicates with the System under Test (SUT). This communication consists of dialogs between the RI and the SUT. The selected user needs and their derived requirements for the particular test configuration determine the test dialogs. Because the C2C RI tool controls the sequence and contents of the protocol messages sent to the SUT, it can test a wide range of both expected (valid) and unexpected (invalid) behaviors.
Using the C2C RI tool will reduce developmental risks, effort, and cost. The C2C RI tool provides consistent interpretation of the implemented standard, which in turn will encourage the deployment of interoperable NTCIP C2C systems.
An upgrade is underway for adding:
- Conformance to Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU) Section 1201 reporting
- Device emulation for all devices supported by the TMDD v3.03c standard.
Please click here for more information and to download the software.