Issue Date: 2013-06-15
Overview: This document provides guidance on the setup and application of the Tool for Operations Benefit/Cost (TOPS-BC). This User’s Manual provides instruction on the installation and setup of TOPS-BC Version 1.0, instruction for using the basic capabilities, and discussion of adapting the available capabilities to the unique needs of an individual analysis. The TOPS-BC tool was developed to support and complement the guidance developed as part of the FHWA Operations Benefit/Cost Analysis Desk Reference project. The Desk Reference provides more general discussion on the field of B/C analysis and methods for structuring analyses to overcome the many challenges often present when attempting to apply B/C analysis to Operations strategies.
Specifically the TOPS-BC tool was developed to provide key decision support capabilities including:
- The ability for users to investigate the expected range of impacts associated with previous deployments and analyses of many TSM&O strategies;
- A screening mechanism to help users identify appropriate tools and methodologies for conducting a benefit/cost (B/C) analysis based on their analysis needs;
- A framework and default cost data to estimate the life-cycle costs of various TSM&O strategies, including capital, replacement, and continuing operations and maintenance (O&M) costs; and
- A framework and suggested impact values for conducting simple sketch planning level B/C analysis for selected TSM&O strategies.
Publication Number: HOP-31-041
Source Organization Location: Washington, DC
Operations Area of Practice: ITS System architecture, Strategic Planning, Cost / Benefit Analysis
Organizational Capability Element: Programming/Budget/Funding, Economic Analysis of Reliability/Costs and Benefits, Evaluation of Operations Strategies
Role in Organization: Associate Engineer, Engineer, Manager / First Line Supervisor, Researcher/Academic, Senior Engineer, Senior Manager
Publishing Organization: FHWA
- FHWA-HOP-13-041-Operations-Benefit-Cost-Analysis-TOPS-BC-User's-Manual.pdf (4.64 MB)
- FHWA-HOP-13-041-Operations-Benefit-Cost-Analysis-TOPS-BC-Tool-STD-v1_1.zip (3.98 MB)
Project Website:Operations Benefit/Cost Analysis TOPS-BC User's Manual